Complete Amazon Marketing System

Friday 14 October 2011

Sepia Saturday 96 - Southampton Docks

Once again I am struggling to stay on theme for Sepia Saturday, and this week I've also decided against making a tenuous link. Instead I have dipped into my pile of unprocessed, recently acquired vintage postcards and come up with this one of the Pier at Southampton. What I particularly like about this postcard is the number of ships either moored, queuing, or travelling in convoy in the background. I suspect this is no longer a frequent site in Southampton these days, and I would imagine that the railway tracks no longer go right down on to the pier.

Vintage postcard of the pier, Southampton

As usual, 100's more vintage postcards on my web site

    

7 comments:

  1. I haven’t been to Southampton for a while, but its’ still a very busy place. Lots of container and cruise ships to see and we used to travel down from Salisbury whenever one of the big famous ones was in port.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine a lot of what you saw then is now taken up by the inevitable car parks. I'm guessing the line of ships in the background were warships on their way out or in. They wouldn't be moored in the middle of the channel like that would they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps there was a review of the fleet underway? It's strange to ships all in line like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also wondering if they were warships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite interesting. Fun to try to imagine what was going on with that line of ships.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the Royal Navy vessels are more likely to be seen in Portsmouth, today. There are still train tracks running in front of the pier, but I couldn't say if trains run on them. Very interesting postcard of Southampton - about 12 miles from where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't make out any guns on the ships in the background. There were so many more passenger ships in this era, some only going across the channel, that I think they are passenger ships awaiting customs and dock space.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails