Complete Amazon Marketing System

Sunday 21 August 2011

Sunday Stamps 32

My contribution to this week's Sunday Stamps is a bit of a cheat, but please bear with me while I explain my story. Some of you who have read my previous stamp related posts will recall I inherited a family stamp collection many years ago. This 'stamp' was part of that collection, and although not really a stamp, I've always regarded it as one and it's been kept alongside my British Commonwealth stamps ever since. Rather than a stamp which has been stuck on to an envelope, it's more like one of those transfers that you rubbed on with a coin, that you used to get (and maybe still do) with packets of kids' sweets. It's a 4 pence registration stamp from Southern Rhodesia, although curiously postmarked in Deal, Kent. Hopefully there's another Sunday Stamps reader who might know a little more about this registration stamp and what it was used for.


8 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting stamp. Looking at online prices for Southern Rhodesia stamps it will be quite valuable. I haven't turned this or one like it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it may be the back flap of a registered letter. Maybe it was forwarded from Deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating. That is what I enjoy about contributing to these weekly memes, is that we get to "meet" others and share information and explore what we already have in our collections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know anything about it, but Sheila's comment makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still very interesting. Wonder what it's worth.
    Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The image looks a bit like Edward 7, but that cannot be so Southern Rhodesia was created in 1923. Do you know who is the image of and does it have a date?

    It is interesting hope you will keep us posted when you find out what it is and when.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is interesting no-matter-what. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had forgotten just how interesting stamps could be. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails