Complete Amazon Marketing System

Friday 24 September 2010

Illustrated Songs - vintage postcards by Raphael Tuck

Having recently acquired two more postcards in the Illustrated Songs series by Raphael Tuck, I thought I'd share these cards today. These cards all date back to the early 1900's, although only one has been posted. My favourite is the first card of the angels, with its wonderful colour contrast between the white angels and the greenery of the forest. Unfortunately the postcards give no clue as to who the artists may have been. Occasionally I find a postcard that has no artist name but some 'trademark' qualities that suggest who the artist was, but nothing for me in this case - does anyone have any ideas?

Angels fold their wings and rest
In that Eden of the West


From the song 'By Killarney's Lakes and Fells', by E.Falconer, published by Raphael Tuck in the Illustrated Songs series 1158, Killarney, c.1904.


The last rays of feeling and life must depart
Ere the bloom of that valley shall fade from my heart


From the song 'The Meeting of the Waters' by Lesley Nelson-Burns, published by Raphael Tuck in the Illustrated Songe series 1160.


Every rock that you pass by,
Verdure broiders or bespirits


From the song 'By Killarney's Lakes and Fells', by E.Falconer, published by Raphael Tuck in the Illustrated Songs series 1158, Killarney.


As always, 100's more vintage postcards on my vintage postcards web site

10 comments:

  1. I love these postcards. The idea of illustrating songs is a beautiful one. Thank you so much for sharing these exquisite postcards with us!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Beth, I also like the idea of postcards illustrating songs. A forerunner of the video clip? It's a pity the songs are unknown now - to me at least. Happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy PFF! I had never heard of this series of Tuck cards until today! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely set of cards, I like the "Ah thou angel" comment on the first, wonder who that was addressed to. The line Eden of the West is apposite, Killarney is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The angels card is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't come across this series at all. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raphael Tuck sometimes lists the artist of the original painting on the back's left edge under the publisher/series info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the first card too - you simply MUST watch this video performance of the song! Angel's Wings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails