Complete Amazon Marketing System

Wednesday 9 December 2009

Wharfs, quays and ships - a vintage postcard of London


I'm pretty sure that in the past I've gone on at length about my love of London. Typically though I find that the majority of vintage postards are of major sites and tourist attractions. Whilst these can sometimes be interesting, they do become a bit ordinary after a while. When I come across a less usual type of card then that's always something to shout about, and that's why I'm blogging today. The postcard here is a Raphael Tuck postcard of Tower Bridge and the Tower, which although not particularly unusual in itself, is interesting because of the foreground which shows quays, wharfs and ships of a bye-gone era. Whilst I love the redevelopment of this part of London, I do think that much of the original character has been lost, and in particular the fact that London was once a thriving port has been lost forever. This postcard captures some of that history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails